While they may be obtained through snaring its Gordo through Gordo Snares and bursting the wild Mosaic Gordo, they will spawn consistently throughout The Glass Desert when certain oases have been restored.
The mosaic slime gets its name from the glittering array of glass tiles that cover its body. This glass produces a similar anomaly found in the desert itself, making the mosaic slime beautiful, but quite dangerous.
Mosaic slimes can be very dangerous for an unprepared rancher. Their glass tiles create a shimmering effect in daylight that attracts other slimes to them. It is unknown why slimes exhibit this behaviour exactly, but leading theories indicate that 'sparkly things are super cool'.
Even more dangerous, the mosaic slime can produce glints in the space around them: ultra-hot solar anomalies that grow in intensity before drifting toward the ground and bursting into flames. Glints can be snuffed with a splash of water, but the best way to reduce their appearance is to ensure your mosaic slimes are well-fed and not agitated.
Mosaic plorts are desired for researching the glass structures within the Glass Desert. Samples of this glass turn brittle when taken from the Far, Far Range, yet interestingly, mosaic plorts seem unaffected by this phenomenon.
Almost certainly, this glass is being studied because it's really pretty and not because it can cause devastating solar anomalies.
- The Mosaic Slime's attraction behavior only occurs in sunlight; this means keeping it in The Grotto or in a Solar Shielded Corral will prevent the behavior entirely.
- The Mosaic Slime's sparkle, and by extension its hypnotising effect, can be turned off indefinitely by placing the slime into a Corral with a Solar Shield upgrade and destroying the Corral. Mosaic Largo sparkles can also be turned off by carrying them to a dark area by the Vacpack, letting them go, then picking them up and re-introducing them to a light area.
- Removing the pure slimes from the world by storing them in the Vacpack resets them.
- 1.3.0b - Optimized some aspects of mosaic slime glints.
- 1.0.1c- Fixed bug when it's glint's fire lasts forever. It could be destroyed by sleeping. While sleep works, time does not help.
- 0.6.0 - Implemented with The Glass Desert update.
- Mosaic Slimes are based on mosaic, a type of art which uses colored tiles or glass to create an image. The shell of the slime physically resembles stained glass. The glints may draw some inspiration from concentrated sunlight, which can heat up and ignite an area it is focused on.