Painted Chickadoos can be produced domestically by a Painted Hen if it is in the presence of a Roostro, and will itself grow up into a Painted Hen or - more rarely - a Roostro. This process is sped up in an upgraded coop. Until it grows up, Slimes will not eat it.
Painted chickadoos are baby chickens that will eventually grow into a painted hen or more rarely, a roostro.
Chickadoos of all varieties will never be eaten by slimes. Some believe this is because slimes are too kind-hearted to do such a thing. Others believe it's because chickadoos don't yet have enough meat on their bones.
On the Ranch:
Keep Painted chickadoos in a safe place and they'll eventually grow into a Painted Hen or a Roostro
- A chickadoo of any type is required for the achievement "You... Monster!" in which you must throw a chickadoo into an Incinerator.
Because they are often found together, this map also applies to Painted Hens and Roostros.
- 1.0.1 - Chickadoos of all types can now be used on Gold Slimes to produce Gold Plorts.
- 0.6.0 - Implemented in The Glass Desert Update.
- The Painted Chickadoo's name (and by extension, the Hen), its vibrant blue plumage, and being found in the desert, may be a reference to the Painted Desert, a desert in Arizona which is known for its brilliant coloration which spans from red to lavender.
- The Painted Chickadoo is referred to by the vacpack's slots and the top right readout as Painted Chick, likely to avoid character spacing issues with the user interface. However they are still correctly referred to as Painted Chickadoo in the Slimepedia. It shares this trait with the Stony Chickadoo and the Briar Chickadoo.