Phosphor Slimes are one of the most common slimes in the game that can appear almost anywhere, though only appear at night.
If exposed to sunlight for too long they disappear. To safely keep them on The Ranch they must either be kept in a corral with the Solar Shield upgrade, or be kept in The Grotto where there is no sunlight. If kept in The Grotto, the Solar Shield is not necessary.
Phosphor slimes come out at night, flying about the moonlit range upon their translucent wings. Phosphor slimes have a luminescent slime core that pulses with a soft glow, making them easy to spot. It's for this reason ranchers sometimes refer to them as 'low stars'.
Phosphor slimes have special needs compared to your typical slime. A phosphor slime and its plorts will quickly vanish if exposed to sunlight, meaning a rancher could quickly lose an entire corral's worth of phosphor slimes if not careful. Ranchers must either vac them up before daybreak or keep phosphor slimes in a place that is perpetually dark, like a cave, or use the Solar Shield upgrade.
The luminescent compound found within phosphor plorts can produce light for over 100 years, making it an incredibly eco-friendly form of illumination on Earth. Cities across the globe are slowly switching over to phosphor lights, saving trillions of gigawatts of energy daily. Plus if you rub the stuff in your hair, it glows and looks really cool.
- Phosphor Slimes can fly and will attempt to fly away through the top of their corral when agitated. Upgrade their corrals with an Air Net, and try to reduce their agitation with a Music Box upgrade and a Night Light.
- Phosphor Slimes may be a reference to the real-world material White phosphorus and its tendency to turn into Red phosphorus when exposed to sunlight. Though visually they may be inspired by fireflies and a Will-o'-the-wisp
- Phosphor Slimes are the only Slime that appears exclusively at night.
- The Slimepedia icon for the Phosphor Slime and Gordo map icon both lack their antennae.
- Phosphor Slimes are capable of carrying one other slime with them when they fly, given that the agitation is high enough for them to stack.
- 0.6.0: Fixed a bug where flying phosphor slimes only moved north east.
- 0.3.4: An issue where phosphor slimes could sometimes disappear from the Grotto or corrals with solar shields was fixed.
- 0.2.5: A bug causing Phosphor Slimes to think that Solar Shield was in a corral when it wasn't was fixed.
- 0.2.4: Fix of a bug causing them to lose wings when Slime Quality was set to Low.
- Before 0.2.0: Phosphor Slimes were added.