Quantum Slimes appear to have resulted from some sort of event that took place in the Ancient Ruins long ago. At all times, the quantum slime is capable of emitting other possible realities of their being. Called 'ghosts', these other realities can come true, with the quantum slime aligning with the reality of the ghost, effectively teleporting.
Quantum Slimes can be one of the most difficult slimes to manage, given their unique abilities. A rancher needs to learn to detect when Quantum Slimes are primed to take over the reality of a ghost, and act quickly, such as feeding them or splashing them with fresh water as a temporary measure.
Quantum plorts are believed by many to hold the secret to infinite resources. Given the Quantum slime's ability to change reality, it's theorized that unlocking the potential of Quantum Plorts would allow for a technology that converges the realities of other entities into our reality and- well basically we're talking about cloning stuff. Infinite energy, chickens, whatever. Probably no harmful side effects to this at all.
- If left unfed, they will become agitated and begin to utilise their teleporting ability. Keeping them fed,putting a Music Box in their corral,or splashing them with water will prevent it.
- For this reason, it will be easier to ranch them away from other slimes.
- When ghosts are created, the ghosts will continue to travel in a linear path the same direction the slime was moving. (including up, if the slime was jumping as it created the ghost)
- The phrase "a slime that really shows its potential" in the slimepedia is a reference to the concept of quantum potential.
- Quantum slimes were added to the game's code in 0.4.3, but were only obtainable through mods.
- The Butterscotch Slime Lamp has the same "glitchiness" that the Quantums have.
- They share the same particle effects as phase lemons when they are about to teleport.
- A Rad Quantum Largo's ghosts will appear with their radiation aura, though will not cause the radiation meter to increase.
- 1.1.0 - Quantum Largos may show their teleportation particles at all times, even when not agitated. Undocumented in the patch notes, so this is possibly a bug.
- 0.6.0 - Now Quantum Slimes can still ghost out of their corral, however they will never teleport onto other slimes' corrals, making them much easier to manage.
- 0.5.0 - They are now released and are able to be obtained legitimately.
- 0.4.3 - Added into the game's code. At this point, it's mostly finished.