The Rad Slime is a Slime found exclusively in The Indigo Quarry, and in The Wilds entirely as Saber Largos. Unlike other Harmful Slimes, they do not deal damage directly, but when exposed to their aura for long enough the player will start taking constant damage as long as they remain within the aura.
It's unknown if rad slimes, sometimes called 'raddies,' came to be from external radiation sources or from something naturally occurring within the The Far, Far Range. Regardless, rad slimes emit such a potent aura of radiation they glow in the dark!
A rad slime's radioactive aura can induce rad poisoning to a rancher if they remain within it for too long. Ranchers are advised to monitor their rad exposure levels when handling these green globs of gamma goo as extended exposure can cause serious bodily harm, or worse.
Given that raddies are basically mobile batteries, it's no surprise that corporations value rad plorts for their incredible energy-producing capabilities. Most rad plorts get turned into 'plortonium' and everything from the latest holophone to a radwave microcook system runs on the stuff.
- Exposure to more Rad Slimes speeds up the increase of the radiation meter, and increases how frequently one takes damage once it reaches full capacity. This makes it difficult to go into a Corral and vaccing a Plort. It is better to get a Plort Collector than risking getting damaged by radiation.
- It is possible to temporarily nullify the radiation aura with Water, and Ancient Water, which lasts for 20 seconds. This is useful for collecting plorts without getting exposed to radiation.
- Note that Rad Gordos cannot have their radiation nullified.
- 0.3.0: Rad Slimes are re-added and can be legitimately obtained; Effects of their radiation aura improved.
- 0.3.0c: Larger spawn rates of them in Indigo Quarry.
- 0.2.0: With the removal of proto Indigo Quarry, they were temporarily unobtainable by normal means. They were still visible in menu, however.
- Before 0.2.0: Addition of them into the game.
- The Rad Slime's name is a double entendre. The nature of the slime is about radiation, while its short description in the slimepedia entry uses the term radiance. It may also reference the 1970's slang term of the word radical.
- The Rad Slime resembles the Slime from Maplestory.
- Contrary to popular opinion, a Rad Boom Largo will not produce a larger explosion - nor is it any more dangerous - than any other Boom Largo.
- Despite being able to remove their radiation auras by shooting them with water, their radiation isn't nullified when immersed in a body of water, such as a Pond.
- A Hunter Rad Largo will have a unique face when expanding its aura.
- If a Rad Slime is expanding its aura and is splashed with water, the aura will not be nullified until it has finished expanding.