Though believed to be long extinct, the saber slime lives on through the largo slimes in The Wilds. Saber slimes were believed to be one of the fiercest predators during the Jellassic Period of the Far, Far Range, a time when gigantic slimes roamed the planet.
Though saber slimes are carnivores, the largos in The Wilds display a curious habit of bundling the rare kookadoba fruit into bundles of sticks, mud, and slime that become rock-hard in time. Only Ogden's specially engineered kookacrackers are capable of breaking them.
Most saber slime largos found in The Wilds are feral, looking to take a bite out of whatever they see. They're also incredibly agile for slimes, capable of powerful jumps that allow them to bound off other surfaces before targeting their prey.
If you encounter a horde of feral saber slime largos, watch your back so you don't get flanked!
Saber plorts are collected for their historical value, offering a window into the primitive past of the Far, Far Range. Some slime scientists have tried to extract the slime DNA from these plorts in order to recreate a true saber slime, but all have failed. And honestly, that's probably for the better, because as soon as that happens some charming billionaire would be talking about making a whole theme park to view them in captivity and then...
- Since the Saber Slimes themselves do not have a favorite food, it is recommended to convert regular slimes with an easy to produce favored food into Saber Largos, such as Rad Slimes, and Quantum Slimes.
- Unlike the Hunter Largos, Saber Largos do not turn feral when left unfed and their Plorts have the same default value; so Sabers may be a good alternative to Hunters.
- It is important to note that, Hunter plorts have much more usage on Slime Science Gadgets.
- 1.1.0b - They no longer favour Stony Hens. A typo in their Slimepedia Entry was also corrected.
- 1.1.0 - Implemented. Although their favored food is listed as unknown and is likely not meant to have one, it favors Stony Hens.
- The Slimepedia Entry mentioning the "Jellasic Period, a time when gigantic slimes roamed the planet", refers to the real-world [[wikipedia:Jurassic|Jurassic time period of Earth]; one of the most widely known time periods of the ancient age due to the presence - and evidence - of dinosaurs. "Gigantic slimes" reference the megafauna that was once far more abundant in those times.
- The Plortonomics section in the Slimepedia Entry references the movie, Jurassic Park.
- Saber Slimes themselves seem to be based off any number of saber-tooth cat species, an extinct relative of the modern big cat. Appearing exclusively in largo form while their pure slime variants are extinct references this.
- Some Largo variants also physically resemble walruses.
- Before their release, the roadmap entry for the Saber Slime stated:
Though the original saber slimes are long-extinct, their lineage lives on in the feral largos that inhabit the Wilds. But watch out! These primal slimes would like nothing more than to make you their lunch!
- Saber largos will occasionally spawn upside down.
- Mosaic Saber largos are the only Mosaic largos in the game which completely retain the pure Mosaic Slime's coloration.
- Pink Saber largos are the only largos in the game that do not have a favorite food.