The Tarr are the one of the main threats of Slime Rancher; the others being Feral Slimes, and Harmful Slimes. With the exception of Casual Mode, they can spawn anywhere at any time of day from any Largo that eats a plort unlike its own.
The Tarr are formed when a Largo eats a Plort unlike the ones it produces (ex. a Pink Tabby Largo eats a Honey Plort). A terrible transformation occurs that turns the slime into a sludge filled with a swirling, prismatic array of colors and a relentless appetite. The Tarr seek only to consume and replicate. Because of this it can spread rapidly throughout the ranch.
The only way to stop a Tarr (outside of incinerating it or throwing it into The Slime Sea) is with fresh water. One splash will stop a Tarr from spawning new Tarr, and repeated splashes will destroy it entirely. However, one splash of fresh water does not kill the Tarr and it will continue to expand.
Alternatively, many ranchers recommend running away with their arms waving, screaming.
The Tarr are the single biggest threat to ranchers. The Tarr will seek out slimes to consume and replicate themselves, but also devour chickens, rot crops in their proximity, and even devour ranchers!
The Tarr produce no plorts, only more Tarr. And then more Tarr still.
- Because of their weakness to water, it is recommended to get the Water Tank upgrade for the Vacpack first and keep it filled with water at all times.
- The Pulse Wave Upgrade can also be another way of avoiding Tarr since it can keep them away if they get too close.
- The Tarr are marginally less threatening than Feral Slimes, since they target other Slimes as well as the player and can be dispatched with water. If there are too many Feral Slimes in a Danger Zone, it may be worth converting one to a Tarr, have a Tarr outbreak, then shooting the Tarr with water.
- Areas with a diverse range of slimes are more prone to Tarr outbreaks; the last area of The Dry Reef for example often gets filled with Tarr because of the four types of slimes spawn there.
- In The Glass Desert, the protective barrier produced by restored Oases damages and quickly kills Tarr when they form or enter the barrier, making them safe spots from Tarr outbreaks.
- Tarr is an acronym for Those Awful, Ravenous, Rainbows.
- Tarr is a direct reference to tar, a black, thick substance that is created from organic materials at high temperatures; a process called destructive distillation.
- Tarr cannot be equipped with Fashion Pods.
- The Achievement: Once Bitten, Twice...Bitten is unlocked after letting go of a Tarr after holding it for at least 15 seconds.
- Shooting a Tarr onto a #1 Slime Stage is a requirement for the Best of the Worst achievement.
- The Tarr has a similar texture to Primordy Oil.
- They do not eat Gold Slimes or Gordo Slimes, but they do eat Lucky Slimes.
- 1.1.0 - Fixed bug where Tarr was occasionally playing some incorrect non-Tarr slime sounds. Though adorable, it had to change.
- 0.5.1 - Fixed bug where Tarrs placed on Slime Stage could quickly escape. Maybe it wasn't a bug though and deep down, tarrs are just really shy, though this is very unlikely.
- 0.3.5b - Fixed a bug causing feral slimes and tarr to possibly cause continual damage to the player
- 0.3.5 - Water is now more effective against Tarr, though just as before, they are twice as hard to kill at night. Tarr also now visibly flash red when hit. At first, we thought it was because the water made them blush but then they exploded...
- 0.3.3 - The Pulse Wave has received an overhaul: the visuals have been greatly improved and the knockback and its effectiveness have been increased against largos and tarr.
- 0.3.0 - New visual effect for Tarr death explosion. It’s prismatic and full of joy because, in death, one must celebrate the tarr’s life.
- 0.2.5 - Fix bug where the Tarr music would sometimes continue after teleporting away from the Tarr.
- 0.2.4 - Fixed bug where Boom Rock Largos would eat fruit to transform into Tarr.
- 0.2.3 - Make Tarrs in freshwater react as if hit by water.
- Before 0.2.0 - A prototype of The Tarr was dark red and was a generic Largo Slime. It was later changed to the current model.