The Tarr are Largo Slimes that have eaten a plort that it does not produce, transforming it into a hostile abomination that consumes other slimes and replicates on doing so. Due to this, they can potentially spawn anywhere at any time of day, and is one of the main threats to a ranch.
They are weak to water, and during the day a single splash is enough to dispatch of them. At night they gain more health and require two splashes; the first will remove its rainbow coloring, and its ability to replicate.
Largos cannot eat plorts in Casual Mode, so they do not appear.
The Tarr are formed when a Largo eats a Plort unlike the ones it produces (ex. a Pink Tabby Largo eats a Honey Plort). A terrible transformation occurs that turns the slime into a sludge filled with a swirling, prismatic array of colors and a relentless appetite. The Tarr seek only to consume and replicate. Because of this, it can spread rapidly throughout the ranch.
The only way to stop a Tarr (outside of incinerating it or throwing it into The Slime Sea) is with fresh water. One splash will stop a Tarr from spawning new Tarr, and repeated splashes will destroy it entirely. However, one splash of fresh water does not kill the Tarr and it will continue to expand.
Alternatively, many ranchers recommend running away with their arms waving, screaming.
The Tarr are the single biggest threat to ranchers. The Tarr will seek out slimes to consume and replicate themselves, but also devour chickens, rot crops in their proximity, and even devour ranchers!
The Tarr produce no plorts, only more Tarr. And then more Tarr still.
- Because of their weakness to water, it is recommended to get the Water Tank upgrade for the Vacpack first and keep it filled with water at all times.
- If the player doesn't have water they can vacuum the Tarr to shoot it into the The Slime Sea instead or into an Incinerator. If the ocean is too far away, simply shoot them as far away as possible.
- If the player is in the Glass Desert, they can vacuum the Tarr to shoot it into an activated Fountain.
- If the player is close to a pond, they can shoot the Tarr into the water.
- The ancient water will kill the tarr instantly which is very good in night time when you need to shoot 2 times to kill and there's a lot of tarr.
- The Pulse Wave Upgrade can also be another way of avoiding Tarr since it can keep them away if they get too close.
- The Tarr are marginally less threatening than Feral Slimes, since they target other Slimes as well as the player and can be dispatched with water. If there are too many Feral Slimes in a Danger Zone, it may be worth converting one to a Tarr, have a Tarr outbreak, then shooting the Tarr with water.
- Areas with a diverse range of slimes are more prone to Tarr outbreaks; the last area of The Dry Reef for example often gets filled with Tarr because of the four types of slimes spawn there.
- In The Glass Desert, the protective barrier produced by restored Oases damages and quickly kills Tarr when they form or enter the barrier, making them safe spots from Tarr outbreaks.
- 1.1.1 - The Tarr's Slimepedia entry is now immediately unlocked in Casual Mode… but don’t worry, that’s as far as they go in Casual Mode.
- Fixed bug where on certain graphics settings, a biting Tarr appeared to have an additional smaller Tarr inside it. Creepy.
- Fixed bug where Tarr and Fire Slimes were bounced too aggressively out of ponds.
- 1.1.0 - Fixed bug where Tarr was occasionally playing some incorrect non-Tarr slime sounds. Though adorable, it had to change.
- 0.5.1 - Fixed bug where Tarrs placed on Slime Stage could quickly escape. Maybe it wasn't a bug though and deep down, tarrs are just really shy, though this is very unlikely.
- 0.3.5b - Fixed bug causing feral slimes and tarr to possibly cause continual damage to the player
- 0.3.5 - Water is now more effective against Tarr, though just as before, they are twice as hard to kill at night. Tarr also now visibly flash red when hit. At first, we thought it was because the water made them blush but then they exploded...
- 0.3.3 - The Pulse Wave has received an overhaul: the visuals have been greatly improved and the knockback and its effectiveness have been increased against largos and tarr.
- 0.3.0 - New visual effect for Tarr death explosion. It’s prismatic and full of joy because, in death, one must celebrate the tarr's life.
- 0.2.5 - Fixed bug where the Tarr music would sometimes continue after teleporting away from the Tarr.
- 0.2.4 - Fixed bug where Boom Rock Largos would eat fruit to transform into Tarr.
- 0.2.3 - Make Tarrs in freshwater react as if hit by water.
- Before 0.2.0 - A prototype of The Tarr was dark red and was a generic Largo Slime. It was later changed to the current model.
- The Tarr is a direct reference to tar, a black, thick substance that is created from organic materials at high temperatures; a process called destructive distillation. Their name is an acronym for Those Awful, Ravenous, Rainbows, which is their tagline in the Slimepedia.
- There are two achievements associated with Tarr; Once Bitten, Twice...Bitten and Best of the Worst. Once Bitten, Twice...Bitten can be obtained by holding the tarr for 15 seconds. Best of the Worst can be obtained by putting(?) the tarr on the number 1 slime stage.'
- Tarr cannot be equipped with Fashion Pods.
- Tarr has a similar texture to Primordy Oil.
- They do not consume Gold Slimes or Gordo Slimes, but can consume Lucky Slimes.
- Despite having a diet of water, Tarr can eat Puddle Slimes without being harmed themselves. The water itself however can harm Tarr.